Referred to as “the mother of all grains” quinoa(keen-wah) is a popular superfood.
Quinoa is super healthy because it is:
- high in fiber
- an excellent source of protein
- high in magnesium, potassium, iron, and zinc
- high in antioxidants
Below is a delicious quinoa recipe that I found on draxe.com.
Prep Time: 10 min. Cook Time: 20 min. Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic(chopped)
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Himalayan or sea salt, black pepper to taste
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
Try to use organic ingredients if possible!
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat
- Add onion, garlic and sauté until golden brown
- Add quinoa to saucepan and cover with vegetable broth
- Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper
- Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for approx. 20 min.
- Add in black beans, cilantro and serve!
- “11 Proven Health Benefits of Quinoa (No. 1 Is My Favorite).” RSS 20. N.p., 20 July 2014. Web. 31 Dec. 2015.