You hear the word “Superfood” thrown around a lot these days. So I guess you could say everyone has their own definition of what a “Superfood” really is. In my opinion, Raw Cacao and Bone Broth are two true “Superfoods.” You ask what makes them “Superfoods”?
Well let’s start off with Raw Cacao.
- It’s extremely high in antioxidants which is important because “Antioxidants are believed to help the body’s cells resist damage caused by free radicals that are formed by normal bodily processes, such as breathing, and from environmental contaminants, like cigarette smoke. If your body does not have enough antioxidants to combat the amount of oxidation that occurs, it can become damaged by free radicals. For example, an increase in oxidation can cause low-density lipoprotein (LDL), also known as ‘bad’ cholesterol, to form plaque on the artery walls.”(1)
- It’s, also, been shown to be beneficial for cardiovascular health by “lowering blood pressure, improving lipid profile, and helping prevent atrial fibrillation)”(2)
- It’s loaded with vitamins and minerals esp. magnesium which is an “alkaline mineral necessary for heart and muscle function, for arterial relaxation, and for proper mental focus. Magnesium balances brain chemistry, builds strong bones, and has been linked to increased happiness and improved mood.”(3)
A Raw Cacao drink I’ve really come to like is called Vitality Rau Chocolate.
It’s a quick, easy, and healthy way to consume some raw cacao.
And while Raw Cacao provides numerous health benefits so does Bone Broth.
Bone Broth is loaded with:
- “over 19 easy-to-absorb, essential and non-essential amino acids (the building blocks of proteins)
- collagen/gelatin, which help form connective tissue
- nutrients that support digestive functions, immunity and brain health”(4)
And according to Dr. Josh Axe, Bone Broth is the #1 thing you can consume to:
- Treat leaky gut syndrome
- Overcome food intolerances and allergies
- Improve joint health
- Reduce cellulite
- Boost immune system”(4)
Bone Broth is simple to make and not too expensive but it can be a bit time consuming to make. Here’s a good chicken bone broth recipe if you want to make your own. But if you’re like me and don’t want to bother making your own you can get bone broth online. My favorite brand is “The Flavor Chef Bone Broth.”
I’d strongly consider adding these two nutritional powerhouses to your diet. They both provide too many health benefits not to.
Full Disclosure: I am an affiliate of bonebroth.com.
1) “The Rich Benefits of Eating Chocolate.” Mercola.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2015.
2) “Health Benefits of Dark Chocolates.” Mercola.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2015.
3) “Superfood Spotlight: Health Benefits of Raw Cacao.” Essential Living Foods RSS2.