Skip to content

Why Social Connections are so crucial for your health!

Having strong social connections is one of the most important things you can do for your health.

According to a research study on health and social relationships a lack of social connection has a greater negative effect on your health than:

  • obesityThree happy friends meeting in the street of a big city
  • smoking
  • high blood pressure

“Low social connection has been generally associated with declines in physical and psychological health as well as a higher propensity to antisocial behavior that leads to further isolation.”(1)

On the other hand, “Strong social connection leads to a 50% increased chance of longevity. Social connection strengthens our immune system (research by Steve Cole shows that genes impacted by social connection also code for immune function and inflammation), helps us recover from disease faster, and may even lengthen our life.”(1)

Also,  people with strong social connections:

  • experience less anxiety, depression
  • have higher self-esteem
  • have more compassion for others
  • are more trusting, cooperative with others. As a result, others are more willing to trust and cooperate with them

“Social connectedness therefore generates a positive feedback loop of social, emotional and physical well-being.”(1)

Relationships are, also, critical to business success because

  1. Your network is your most important asset. “Every successful executive and entrepreneur will tell you, their most important asset is their network, and they don’t mean social network. They mean people they actually know and work with in real time because they’re the ones that actually get things done.”(2)
  2. When an opportunity presents itself it almost always involves a real relationship.  Most of the time when a career and business opportunity presents itself it’s the result of a real relationship.

“New research out there states if you deepen optimism and social connections, sales rise 37%, across industries and functions. MetLife proved this out. The top 10% of optimists were outselling the other 90% by 89%. Newly hired optimists outsold pessimists by 19% in the first year and 57% by the second year. MetLife didn’t hire based on optimism, and now they do.”(1)

Happiness and relationships go hand in hand.  “Not only do relationships help to make us happier, but also happy people tend to have more and better quality relationships.”(1)

Develop and maintain strong social connections and you’ll:

  • be happier
  • be more productive
  • improve your physical, and mental well-being

References:

  1. “Social Connections Are THE Key to Happiness.” BeExtraordinary. N.p., 26 Jan. 2015. Web. 15 May 2016
  2. https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/230783
MattAvoyer_200Wide

My Top 10 Nutritional Powerhouses

Sign up now to get your free copy and weekly nutrition tips right in your inbox!

Leave a Comment